• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 watto

watto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 11:34 PM

Sorry about starting the new topic, i was reading 3 different threads that were all appropriate, and didnt know what to reply to:
"cant get to the ip adress thingy "
"Can't reach web based guide "
or "how do i install the 741ge"

Anyway, heres the full description. i'll be as complete as possible.

Cant get to the http://192.168.1.254 webpage.

Running WinXP.

Powers connected to modem. Ethernet in lan port 1 connected to network card in pc. network card is working, i've used it at lans before. phone line connected to modem.
Power Light, sys light, lan light number 1 are all on. After plugging it into the phone line PPP and ADSL lights were on. I've disconnected it from the phone now (just in case it kept dialing due to some kind of drop out) but this doesnt mean that i shouldnt be able to get to 192.168.1.254. So at the moment the lights PPP and adsl are flashing, but thats ok.

Modem is at least working somewhat. after just plugging it in to the phone line, my ISP rang me and said "we see youre trying to use your modem, we'll change your dialup account into the dsl account now." This suggests to me that the modem is just not communicating with my pc, as it can dial in ok.

the modem has been "pre-configured" by my isp. I have not tried to hold down the factory reset button yet. Seeings its dialed in ok, i assume the pre configuration is ok. It still looks like it just cant communicate with my pc.

now, the techy bits.

i did /ipconfig all
and got:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : watto1400xp
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-1C-98-CE-C1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.128.164
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

as you can see dhcp is on, but winxp seems to be setting everything. Its the wrong subnet/gateway. i tried setting them manually to:

ip: 192.168.1.21
subnet:255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254

same problem, i couldnt access that http://192.168.1.254 webpage. Of course, I cant ping the modem either ("Destination unreachable, 100% packet loss")

i tried right clicking the lan status thing and choosing repair. with dhcp on, it simply timed out. with manual settings it didnt do anything.

last thing i tried was going to control panel, and adding a few windows components. I added the networking services "rip listener" and "universal plug and play" from the networking services. No change with my results.

Help!

Mark.

[Edit: i've just tried it through USB, since thats the only way winxp autodetects it, and it did. It works. I still want it through Ethernet however, or its not much use to me for networking.]

#2 cpu8088

cpu8088

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 11:53 PM

check cable using right type straight thru? lights on nic and on the modem re lan?

tcp/ip protocol not corrupted?

#3 watto

watto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:25 AM

How do i check if the tcp/ip protocol are corrupted?
And yes, the lights were on (the lan light on the modem, & the green light on my network card)

I may have sounded like i'm quite informed, but i'm not as great as i could be. I'm not completely useless tho either wink.gif

I'm using standard network cabling (not a crossover cable) which i have used before at lans, if thats what you mean regarding cabling. I know the other cables are fine, because i've just connected it through USB (and it works. see the edit at the end of my first message) thus so power/phone connections must be fine.

#4 Billionaire

Billionaire

Champion Sock Knitter

• Members^
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(watto @ May 27 2003, 11:34 PM)
as you can see dhcp is on, but winxp seems to be setting everything. Its the wrong subnet/gateway. i tried setting them manually to:

ip: 192.168.1.21
subnet:255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254

same problem, i couldnt access that http://192.168.1.254 webpage. Of course, I cant ping the modem either ("Destination unreachable, 100% packet loss")

Unfortunately Windows isn't quite as Plug and Play as people expect. If you set up your machine for DHCP first, had it on and _then_ plugged in your modem, the PC would not have gone and retrieved a new IP address automatically.

You could have tried to renew your IP address by doing an ipconfig /release followed by an ipconfig /renew.

Setting the IP address manually doesn't take effect immediately either (well sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). Even though Windows tells you what you want to hear when you recheck your settings, it often takes a reboot if you change from DHCP to static IPs.

You'll probably find that all will be well when you turn on your computer today. (Fingers crossed)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users